On cold, rainy wintery days Soup is quite definitively the end all and be all of comfort food. Whether served with generous gratings of parmesan cheese or toasted, crunchy bread, Soup manages warm you from top to toe, from inside out.
With this soup I must admit I have been rather lazy and have not sieved the tomato in order to remove the seeds. I find this step rather unnecessary and I like the texture the seeds add to the finished product.
What Will I Need?
1kg tomatoes, tops cut off
1 brown onion, top and bottom cut off
1/2 bulb garlic
2 cups chicken stock
1 tbsp tomato paste
1/4 tsp dried marjoram
1/4 tsp dried basil
Parmesan cheese, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Place tomatoes, onion and garlic into an oven tray and drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake the vegetables in the hot oven for 30 minutes or until starting to brown.
- Peel the tomatoes, garlic and onion and place into the bowl of a food processor. Blitz for about 30 seconds or until smooth.
- In a heavy based pot, fry the pancetta for about 5 minutes over a medium heat or until the fat has rendered.
- Stir the blitzed vegetables, stock, herbs and tomato paste through the pancetta and bring to the boil over a high heat.
- Once boiling, reduce to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Divide between bowls and sprinkle with grated parmesan cheese before serving hot.