I have been craving salads the past few weeks which is ok, considering I adore them, however a tad odd as I normally crave spicy food.
When dicing the tomatoes, it’s much more fun to have each style of tomato cut in different ways and adds to the rustic feel of the salad. Normally a stickler for regulated shapes and sizes, I got this tip from one of Jamie Oliver’s TV Shows and thought it a fantastic idea.
What Will I Need?
500g mixed tomatoes, diced
1/2 bunch fresh basil, chopped roughly
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1/2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper
100g rustic bread, diced
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp sea salt
- Preheat oven to 200C. Pour olive oil into a baking tray and add sea salt.
- Add diced bread to the baking tray and lightly rub into the oil and salt until coated.
- Bake in the hot oven for 10-15 minutes or until golden. Set aside
- Add the onion to a small bowl and cover with ice water. Set aside for ten minutes, before straining to remove all excess water.
- In a large mixing bowl, add tomatoes, basil, onions, oil, salt and pepper to taste, and croutons, and toss gently to combine.