Soup seems to have a strange reputation for taking long laborious hours simmering away over a low stove. Yes, this is true for a proper stock, however soup itself can be ready within minutes.
In fact, the longest step in the cooking of this soup is the fact you have to bake the capsicum and garlic first. After that it’s just a matter of blitzing and heating and hey presto! A thick velvety soup which will bring your tastebuds to life!
What Will I Need?
2 Red Capsicums (Peppers)
4 Clove Garlic
2 x 410g can Tomatoes, diced
2 Red Onion, diced
1 cup Vegetable Stock
1/2 cup Black Olives, sliced
2 tbs Capers
1 tsp Basil, dried
- Preheat your oven to 200C.
- Now let’s proceed by chopping the tops and bottoms off your capsicums and deseeding them and then along with the unpeeled garlic cloves placing them in your oven for 30 minutes.
- Once the capsicum has been roasted, carefully peel off the skin and discard and then place the hot flesh into a blender. Peel the garlic cloves and also add them to the blender.
- To the blender add the tomatoes, onion, stock, olives, capers and basil and then blitz for about a minute or until smooth.
- Decant into a saucepan and then heat for ten minutes over a medium heat until simmering and then serve in two bowls, topped with crunchy croutons.