I think many of us can agree that 2018 was not the best year. I personally believe that the way you start your year kind of sets the tone for the following twelve months. If you start the year surrounded by joy and happiness, that’s what will follow. If it starts with drama and negativity? Well, you’re in for a tough time. Although there was plenty of growth and positivity within the year for me, it started on a rather low note and that’s why this year I have decided to start the year the right way – with a 30 Day Self Care Challenge.
We all know the importance of self care in our day to day lives, yet although we try our best to practice it, more often than not it’s one-off occurrences rather than a practice; we do it once every now and then, rather than incorporating these practices into our daily lives.
Self care is a holistic practice that ensures we’re looking after ourselves mind, body and soul. What’s the point in eating healthy, if we’re not getting enough sleep? What’s the point in meditating if we’re eating junk food? We need to learn to practice not just one aspect of looking after ourselves – our mind, or our body, or our spirit – but see ourselves as one big package, an ecosystem of wellness wrapped in a beautiful façade.
With this challenge I am planning to create a new awareness of self-care practices for myself, and for you, that are easily incorporated into our everyday lives. These are all simple steps that add up to a greater holistic journey to self-awareness and self-love.
Each day I will take not only a new step forward, but will practice each step I have previously taken. Although it may seem time consuming and probably also quite overwhelming, all of these steps to self-care are quite small and easy to accomplish or add to your already busy routines.
If you’re interested in taking on the 30 Day Self Care Challenge with me to start your new year with a new you, I’ve created a printable for you (below) so you can keep track of your progress.
30 Day Self-Care Challenge
1. Meditate for 5 Minutes
2. Write down one things you're grateful for
3. Light your favourite candle and enjoy its aroma
4. Drink a large mug of green tea
5. Write down one thing love about yourself
6. Use a Sheet Mask. Sit back, and relax.
7. Listen to your favourite song and dance.
8. Spend 10 minutes outside watching the world go by
9. Tell your friends why they’re important to you
10. Cuddle your pet (or partner!)
11. Take a long bath using your favourite essential oil
12. Watch the sun rise or sun set in silence
13. Write down one thing that makes you laugh
14. Take a photo of something that makes you smile
15. Bend and stretch – reach for the stars!
16. Take 10 deep breaths in and out when you wake up
17. Write yourself a love note for the following day
18. Tell yourself “I love you”
19. Do now what you’re putting off til tomorrow
20. Pull a Tarot or Oracle card for inspiration
21. Write down one thing that makes you proud
22. Go to bed 15 minutes early
23. Make a wish upon a star and believe in it
24. Eat something green every day
25. Write down a negative thought and cross it out
26. Dance like no one is watching
27. Say No and mean it!
28. Get Creative
29. Write down one new idea you want to try
30. Forgive Yourself. Every. Single. Day.
What a list! But as you can see, it’s all really small things you can practice any time throughout the day, because self care isn’t about grand gestures, but small things to remind yourself you are loved by yourself. And if you make the notes, as suggested, then you'll always have lots of positivity and joy to look back on when you need it.
I would love for you to join me on this journey into 2019, and getting started on the right foot – body, mind and soul.
Will you be joining in? Let me know in the comments!